Wednesday, January 26, 2011

No, no, no, no, no, no, no to Javier Bardem as Roland. No.


(Picture taken from: darekkocurek.com)

Javier Bardem is a badass. If you need somebody with a Prince Valiant hairdo to say "Friendo," into the camera, you have your man. But as Roland from the Dark Tower series? Get outta here! But that's what Cinemablend says. You can find the article here: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Javier-Bardem-Has-Been-Offered-The-Lead-Role-In-Ron-Howard-s-The-Dark-Tower-22841.html

Now, here's why this would suck. Roland is basically Clint Eastwood. Read the books and you'll see the influence immediately. Roland of Gilead is the man with no name from the Fistful of Dollars trilogy. That said, when I hear his voice in my head, I actually hear Stephen King's voice. It's crazy, I know, but I do. Listen.



And to me, and a lot of people, Javier Bardem doesn't fit that part. Ron Howard, who's directing the film, must have forgotten the face of his father if he honestly allowed casting directors to settle on him. There had been word that Christian Bale or Viggo Mortensen might have been up for the role. I don't know if I like those two choices, but they're definitely better than Bardem, who I sometimes have a hard time understanding. Ideally, I would have liked Josh Brolin. He could bring a gravitas and coolness to it like no other. Alas, this is turning out to be a big mess. Just read the books, people. Javier Bardem as Roland is insufferable!

No comments: