Friday, February 25, 2011

The Top Ten TV Intros That I've Ever Seen

Intros to TV shows are supposed to pump you up. They're supposed to put a smile on your face and make you tilt your head to the side like you're a school girl taking a picture with a giant lolly. To sum it up, TV intros are supposed to be awesome. The thing is, not many of them are. I can count like, 20, in the history of the idiot box. That said, I don't have the energy to write a top 20, so here are my top 10. If you disagree, note that you probably checked your soul at the gun store and don't have one any more.

10. New York Undercover


(Image taken from: tvrage.com)

Okay, so you've never even heard of this show before. That doesn't mean that it still doesn't have one of the best intros ever. The sax is soothing, the images are vivid, and it doesn't look all that 90s, even though it was TOTALLY a 90s show. In short, it's superb. Check it out.



9. Duck Tales


(Image taken from: sharetv.org)

Was Duck Tales a great show? Eh, not really. I mean, it was watchable, as most cartoons were when we were younger, but was it actually good? Nope. It was really just subpar. But you know what WASN'T subpar? That theme song. Duck Tales, whoo hoo! It doesn't get much better than that.



And look, it's even great in Hindi! That's proof of a great song!



8. Taxi


(Image taken from: sharetv.org)

Taxi is such a chill show with laughs in all the right places, and this intro is equally chill, with a swell keyboard melody that just makes you smile and go, "Oh, man, I LOVE this show!" If this were a longer list, I'd put Cheers on here, too, but it's not. So Taxi gets the spot.



7. The Mighty Morphin Power Rangers


(Image taken from: fanpop.com)

I'm going to be honest with you. When I was younger, I didn't really like the Power Rangers. It wasn't until I got older that I actually dug their cheesiness and outlandish explosions. But something I've ALWAYS loved is the intro, as its searing guitars and "Go, Go, Power Rangers!" chant really made me want to go out and kill some Puddy Patrol. And also be the black ranger.



6. The Cosby Show


(Image taken from: newsone.com)

The Cosby Show had a lot of intros, but none were as funny as season 3's, where Cosby is basically making the funniest faces in the world. I wish I could show it to you here on this blog, but its embedding abilities have been disabled by request. Stupid brilliant Cosby Show. You can find the intro here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS6wZl7G-QE&feature=relmfu

5. X:Men-The Animated Series


(Image taken from: DVDactive.com)

I talked about this intro in my discussion on the best cartoons of the 90s, because seriously, it doesn't get much more intense than this. The thumping beginning, the awesome shots of all of the main mutants, and that last scene of all of the good guys colliding with the bad guys is just so killer. I mean, man, this is what I call a jump off your couch intro. It's just so badass.



4. Twin Peaks


(Image taken from: thefreegeorge.com)

Twin Peaks is weird, and it should be. It's partly the brainchild of David Lynch, the king of weird. But the intro is surprisingly...relaxing. It's just the kind of intro that gets you into the atmospheric mood of the show. It's as close to perfect as I can think of.



3. The Wayans Bros.


(Image taken from: coopersjd.com)

Okay, this intro is just ridiculous. I remember the first time I watched it, I seriously couldn't even follow the show because I was laughing so hard from the intro when the old woman gets hit by a bus...and then wipes herself off. This is definitely the funniest intro I've ever seen. And the show wasn't that bad, either.



2. The Twilight Zone


(Image taken from: wired.com)

The Twilight Zone is definitely up there with The Simpsons as one of my favorite TV shows of all time. But unlike The Simpsons, The Twilight Zone has a phenomenal intro (Yeah, I said it) that really grabs you from the very beginning. It's going to be hard to top THIS intro. But one actually does.



1. Thundercats


(Image taken from: blogs.laweekly.com)

Ask me a single thing about the show, and I couldn't tell you what it was about. But ask me about the intro, and I could tell you every single detail. Thundercats is the quintessential example of an intro that's even better than the show, and you know I'm right. Also, if you just heard the theme song from the other room, you might not be all that impressed. But when you combine the music WITH the images, oh, boy. You had yourself some fist pumping, foot stomping, head banging going on. Seriously, I'm pretty sure the birth of Hyphy began from this intro.

No comments: