Thursday, February 9, 2017

Review: The Dead Zone

The Dead ZoneThe Dead Zone by Stephen King
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

One of my co-workers caught me reading this book, and she was like, do you like Stephen King? I said I did, and she was like, really? As if liking Stephen King was beneath me or something. But I love Stephen King and I've read most of his books. The man said so himself. He's the McDonald's of storytelling. And like McDonald's, some items on the menu are better than others. When it comes to that analogy, Drawing of the Three (the second book in the Dark Tower series) is a McRib Sandwich with a Shamrock shake with fries. The Dead Zone is more like a twenty piece box of chicken McNuggets. It's good for awhile, but then it wears out its welcome, and you're like, maybe I should have ordered something else. Like some fries or something. The problem with this book is that it's lopsided. Some sections are the best I think I've ever read of Stephen King-like the hunt for a vicious serial killer-while other parts just fall flat. Especially the third act, which is a little hokey. In the end, it's an okay book that reads at a brisk pace, but it's not one of his stronger works. I'd rather just go to another fast food joint over this one. Read it if you want to see a happy ending to the Trump Presidency.

View all my reviews

No comments: