Sunday, June 15, 2014

Review: The Reformed Vampire Support Group

The Reformed Vampire Support GroupThe Reformed Vampire Support Group by Catherine Jinks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I've been reading a lot of YA lately because I'm trying to understand the genre better, and great books like The Reformed Vampire Support Group make them more palatable to me. I must say, I truly enjoyed this.

I'll be honest with you, though. It took me a while to buy into the world set up here. I, like many people, am sick and tired of vampire stories, and this book takes a while to really get you to like the characters. But once you do, you really do, and Catherine Jinks does an excellent job of separating her vampires from others (These vampires are actually very sick most of the time, and are definitely self-aware). I especially like the voice of the story. Even though it's from a teenage girl who is actually in her 60s because of the effects of becoming a vampire, it really works. And what follows is an adventure that doesn't really seem like an adventure until the last 100 pages or so, since a lot of the book is spent getting you involved with the problem at hand.

In the end, though, I really liked this book. I would recommend it to anybody who is trying to get a better sense of the "voice" of YA. It's helped me immensely.

View all my reviews

No comments: