Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Rant: Why The Hell Does Everybody Still Like Battletoads So Much?



To see the actual site where the article was published, go here: http://cinemablend.com/games/Rant-Why-The-Hell-Does-Everybody-Still-Like-Battletoads-So-Much-18767.html

I recently wrote an article regarding the best beat ‘em ups of all time, and at number 7, I put Battletoads. Simple enough. It’s a bash ‘em, smash ‘em, wreckin’ ball crash ‘em game that was unique for its day and still provides some pretty cheap thrills today. But I have just one question for all those out there who still talk about the game like it just came out last week.

Why? Why the hell do you still love the game so much? Besides Final Fantasy VII, I can’t think of a single other game that’s so still widely regarded when it wasn’t nearly as great as everybody originally thought it to be. Now, don’t get me wrong—I LOVE Battletoads, but I love a lot of old-school games that people won’t even touch today. Like Altered Beast, for instance. Who still likes THAT game? Nobody, that’s who, and that’s just my point. Battletoads, for reasons unknown to me, has held the test of time to be probably one of the most beloved titles on the NES that people still talk about today. Don’t believe me? Then why (Besides it being an obvious prank) are people calling Gamestops requesting for the game?



I mean, from my recollection, I remember not even being able to get past the third level of the game when I was younger. After the speedbike section, I remember some kind of surfing level, but I didn’t get any further than that. That game was hard as all hell, and waaaay too hardcore for me at the time. But Battletoads and Double Dragon, now THAT was more my speed. It was much easier in my opinion, and definitely more fun, as the Lee brothers (“Ug-Lee! Ha ha ha!” You’d have to see the movie to understand) added another dynamic element to the Toads. But oh, no, no, no, no, talk about THAT game to the average fan of the original and they’ll usually say, “I don’t want to talk about it, that game sucked.” I mean, sure, the original game IS quite different from BTaDD, but not in a bad way. Battletoads was too hard back when it came out, and it’s too hard today. I can’t even GET past the second level when I play it with my 25 year old hands. What kind of fun factor is that? That game is impossible!

Well, anyway, what are your thoughts on it? Why do YOU love Battletoads so much? What’s the deal? I seriously want to know. What’s so great about it that you’re still talking about it today like some hopeless nostalgic junkie (Like myself)?

And just for Zits and giggles (I know, that was a bad one) I’ve included a speedrun clip of the first third of the game. Just because I know you never passed the third level, either.

No comments: